We outline the 5 Nigerian artistes who have been nominated for the Grammy Awards.
While the Grammy hunger has been dominant in the Nigerian music industry, it would be nice to look at all the artistes who have been nominated for the award.
The Recording Academy’s Annual Grammy Awards is unarguably the biggest music award in the world. It recognizes achievements in the music industry.
The first on the list is;
* King Sunny Ade has been nominated for the award two times. His albums “Synchro System”, “Odu” were both nominated for the award in 1984 and 1999.
* Late Nigerian drummer, Babatunde Olatunji has also been nominated. His album “Love Drum Talk” snagged a Grammy nod in 1998.
* Femi Kuti has also snagged nods from the Grammies. His albums “Fight To Win”, “Day By Day”, “Africa For Africa”, “No Place For My Dream” were nominated in the years 2003, 2010, 2012, 2014. He is the most nominated on the list.
* Seun Kuti like his brother, also led his late father’s band “Egypt 80” and gained a Grammy for the album “Black Times” in 2019.
* Burna Boy is the most recent nominated act from Nigeria. His new album, “African Giant” has earned him a nomination for the upcoming 2020 Grammy Awards.